Last updated 21 June 2019.
At mTek services, we are committed to protecting your privacy and ensuring that your personal information is collected and used appropriately, lawfully and transparently. This privacy notice explains:
What personal information we collect.
We collect certain personal information about you, including your name, address and phone number. We collect this information about you when you:
- Use our website and secure online services.
- Contact us about products and/or services. Apply for and receive services.
- Visit insurance companies, agents or any other third party with an affiliation to us.
- Register to receive one of our newsletters.
The type of personal information we collect will depend on the purpose for which it is collected and will include:
- Your contact details.
- Information to verify your identity.
We collect personal information directly from you. For example, we ask for personal information at the start of our relationship (eg: when you want to download the app) and in subsequent communications in order to check your identity. This is a legal requirement and is important to help safeguard you and us against potential crime. Where it is necessary we collect more sensitive information (such as financial and bank details information). If this is the case we will explain what information we require and why it is needed.
We may also collect information about you from other sources such as:
- Your adviser.
- Another agent (if you have one).
- External third parties (e.g.: to verify your identity).
We keep your personal information only as long as is necessary for the purpose for which it was collected, or for legal or regulatory reasons. Personal information will be securely disposed of when it is no longer required in accordance with our Personal Data Retention and Disposal Schedule.
How we use your personal information.
We process your information for the following purposes.
To perform our contract with you and to support and maintain that relationship. This includes the following:
- Assessing and processing an application for our services.
- Providing our products and/or services to you, including the management of our relationship with you and any other agent (if you have one).
- Carrying out transactions you have requested. Monitoring or recording telephone calls with you to resolve any queries or issues.
- Assessing your application for insurance products or services you may require (using automated decision making tools when necessary).
- Record keeping to ensure our products and/or services operate within the law and relevant regulatory requirements.
- Providing other services (eg: enhanced due diligence, underwriting, reinsurance, data hosting, online services, and payments or reporting of any tax or levy).
- To comply with legal and regulatory requirements. These requirements include the following:
- Confirming your identity for regulatory purposes.
- Detecting and preventing fraud, money laundering, terrorist financing, bribery or other malpractice.
For specific business purposes to enable us to provide you with appropriate products and services and a secure experience. Our business purposes include the following:
- Verifying your identity for security purposes.
- Enhancing, modifying and personalizing our services for your benefit.
- Providing communications which we think will be of relevance to you.
- Customer satisfaction research or statistical analysis.
- Audit and record keeping purposes.
- Enhancing the security of our network and information systems.
- Maintaining effective management systems including internal reporting to our parent company and other members of our corporate group.
- Customer satisfaction research, statistical analysis and wider market research to capture the views and opinions of our customers.
You have the right to object to us processing your personal data for the business purposes listed above.
Who we share your information with and why.
We share your information with trusted third parties, who perform tasks for us and help us to provide our products and/or services to you, and with other agencies where required by law, court order or regulation. These include:
- Other companies within the Insurance and Motor vehicle space.
- Your financial adviser, third party data providers used by your adviser and any other party authorized by you.
- Third parties who perform tasks for us to help us provide our services to you (these third parties may be based in other countries outside Kenya).
- A third party to verify your identity, in line with money laundering or other requirements.
- Organizations, including the police and fraud prevention agencies, to prevent and detect fraud.
- Regulatory or governmental agencies.
- A third party to conduct market research on our behalf, to help us improve and develop the products and services we provide to you and our other customers.
How we keep your Information Secure.
We are committed to ensuring the confidentiality of the personal information that we hold and we continue to review our security controls and related policies and procedures to ensure that your personal information remains secure. When we contract with third parties, we require that they have appropriate security, privacy and confidentiality measures in place to ensure that personal information is kept secure. If we work with third parties in countries outside Kenya, we ensure these are countries that confirmed have an adequate level of protection for personal information, or the third party receiving the personal data has provided adequate safeguards and agrees to treat your information with the same level of protection as we would.